Dendrobium dickasonii

Species only

Dendrobium dickasonii

Postby admin » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:06 pm

I can't take credit for these flowers.
Dendrobium dickasonii is a member of Dendrobium group and hails from Thailand and India. I'm growing it in the intermediate section and will winter it in the cool house.

I'm not sure if this species is as floriferous as this usually, or if this is an exceptionally free-flowering clone. Not listed anywhere as a scented species, but I'm enjoying a terrific perfume from this plant. It fills the greenhouse.

The main flowering cane is 8" tall carrying 18 buds/flowers. The next cane down measures 1" and is carrying two buds. So it appears capable of flowering from a very small size.

I have turned the photograph of the close-up upside down to view the flower better. I don't see any information anywhere that this species is non-resupinate, but this flowering certainly is. I'm not sure if it's normal or caused by travelling while in tight bud.
A lovely splash of colour in the greenhouse at the moment.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby trey.sanders » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:43 pm

Hi Bill

Great plant and photo's.

What is the difference between this species and Dendrobium unicum? To me they look simmilar and I would like to be able to tell them apart.

Cheers
Trey
trey.sanders
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Postby Telipogon » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:58 am

yes i was about to mention a similarity to D. unicum..............
Telipogon
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Postby admin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:45 am

Hi Trey; Teli, Den unicum is usually a much smaller plant, a miniature, and certainly not as floriferous. Flowers are also smaller, but otherwise, the flowers are very much the same in colour, shape and markings.
Bill.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ron-NY » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:23 pm

Bill, sure looks like unicum to me. Decided to search and this is the info I found on dicksonii'
"Flower Size 2 to 2.4" [5 to 6 cm]

Found in India, Burma and Thailand on Rhododendron bushes at elevations of 1500 to 1800 meters as a miniature sized, warm growing epiphyte with slender to swollen, spindle-shaped pseudobulbs carrying 2 to 8, glossy, linear to elliptic-lanceolate leaves that blooms in the late winter to the early summer on a lateral, .8 to 1.2" [2 to 3 cm] long, 1 to rarely 3 flowered inflorescence arising from the upper nodes of an older, mature cane and carrying very large flowers for the size of the plant

Synonyms Dendrobium arachnites Rchb.f. 1874; Dendrobium seidenfadenii Senghas & Bockemühl 1978 " www.species.com

The pic they have there doesn not match your dicksonii. I then checked the description in Baker and Baker's book...again the flower description does not match yours. (Sepals and petals recurved, cinnabar red to flame colored. Sepals darker than ppetals and may have dark spotting. The large lip has wavy margins with darker veins The anther is white) I suspect you received a unicum and not dicksonii. I find unicum to bloom with as many or more flowers than yours.
Ron-NY
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Postby admin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:26 pm

Well, I'm confused :shock: I've checked Jay Pfahl's site. He says that D. dickasonii is a miniature plant and decribes D. unicum as a miniature plant. I've certainly grown several D. unicums over the years, and a few years ago deflasked and sold a load of unicums. I've never had a unicum as large and certainly never as floriferous. D. dickasonii I've never grown before, so I have nothing to compare it with. visually, it doesn't look like unicum to me, size-wise.
Having said that, I see that the photographs on Jay's site has D. dickasonii with non-resupinate flowers, the plant photograph is upside down, while unicum flower is resupinate. The unicum flower is strongly recurved while the dickasonii isn't. Flower markings look the same to me, with dickasonii flowers being a bit fainter in markings on the lip. Jay says the flowers on dickasonii are between 2" and 2.4" and unicum flowers are 1.5" to 2". I measured one of my flowers which is about to reflex (still has petals sepals straight out, and it measures 2.2" straightening out a flower which has set in the recurve measures 2.2" so no difference there.
In conclussion, my confussion arises because my plant and flowers definately show characteristics of both D. unicum and D. dickasonii. Seeing that Jay decribes D. dickasonii as a miniature, then I'm going to assume that the current flowering cane is abnormally sized, seeing as it is only the plants second cane. It does seem a huge jump in size. we shall see what the next growth does. Miniature is supposed to be under 6" tall mine is definitly slightly over 8" by a couple of mm. It seems a mad jump for a plant to produce a 1" cane then suddenly exceed it's maximum size by two inches on it's second cane without some sort of artificial help.
You've caused me a problem, Ron, now I have to get my old butt out of the PC chair and do some in depth reading and studying. A question mark is now on the label.
Bill.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dan_t » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:28 pm

I thought I'd add my tuppence to this!

Dendrobium unicum is quite variable, and can have both short or long canes, depending on their immediate source. The short-caned specimens are usually directly related to a wild-collected source, and the longer-caned specimens have been in cultivation for longer periods. It appears to be similar for Dendrobium loddigesii.
I only know this from looking at specimens in the National Dendrobium collection in the Glasgow Botanic gardens and talking to both David Menzies and Mariano Medda who curate the collection.

I hope this helps somehow!

Dan
dan_t
Flowering plant
Flowering plant

Postby dan_t » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:05 pm

Sorry Bill - I must have somehow missed your post! :wink:

I've been having a look through Baker and Baker as well, and am myself pulled towards unicum - the lip is very much one of the major factors for this.

However, from what I can see, the number of leaves is wrong for the description for unicum (only 2-3) compared to dickasonii (up to 8 leaves).

I am thoroughly confused!!! I'm going with a graft of unicum flowers onto a dickasonii pb :twisted:

Dan
dan_t
Flowering plant
Flowering plant

Postby admin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:40 pm

Just thought I would now reserect this post of confussion.
I've read everything there is to read on both these plants. I'm afraid, although I'm not willing to put a lot of money on it yet, mainly because I don't have a lot, this is Dendrobium dickasonii.
The flowers are too large and the plant is too large for unicum These flowers are in excess of 2.5" according to my notes - It's not flowering this year - Unicum is decribed as being miniature, while dickasonii as small to medium. I've found extremely few examples of unicum being of a size similar to this, and those few I think could be argued that they are in fact mislabled as unicum.
So, going by the larger and more robust pseudobulbs and the larger flowers (unicum is recorded as 1.5" - 2") I'm happy to leave it as Dendrobium dickasonii. I never was comfortable with it being possibly mislabeled, it felt wrong and my gut instinct said it was dickasonii.
Bill.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:35 pm

Further to my previous post, a late email informs of the following.
' D. unicum can be identified by the lip keels, absent in D. dickasonii. The large growth and more leafs, larger flowers and floriferousness are dickasonii trait while the reflexed sepals and petals are unicum. There is a possibility that this is a hybrid, by mistake, of the two'.
I give up, I'll keep it as a lovely plant.
I wonder what will happen when one of us flowers Dendrobium lamyaiae :?
Bill.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dan_t » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:25 am

Thanks Bill - I think this plant will continue to confuse me for a while!

Dan
dan_t
Flowering plant
Flowering plant

Return to Dendrobium Species