Dendrobium tetragonum

Species only

Dendrobium tetragonum

Postby MrBreeze » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:49 pm

Maybe it should be properly called Dockrilla? I don't have any books with me and can't be bothered to search for any info. :oops: Anyway I'm pretty sure it's from Oz. It definitely isn't shy about blooming as I've only had it since the Fall and already I have two flowers and some buds.

As Marg will no doubt agree, the flowers are shaped like Aeranthes which gives it bonus points. :D
-MB
MrBreeze
Flowering plant
Flowering plant

Postby Rita » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:39 pm

I've never met a dend. I didn't like and this one is no exception, very nice!
Rita
Rita
Seed
Seed

Postby Marg » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:07 pm

Mr B, are you sure that is a species tetragonum. It could have reduced length pseudobulbs if grown under bright lights but the flower also seems a wee bit wide to me. All the tetragonums I have seen the bottom sepals are more slender and the angle is less acute. This does not mean it is not tetragonum, just maybe a variant I haven't come across. Lovely plant and wonderful flower :lol:
Cheers,
Marg :lol:
Marg
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Postby katrina » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:31 pm

Oh I have one of these, if it looks anything lie yours Mr B I will be very happy. Mine is ‘var’ Gigantium but its only a baby so no flowers yet.
katrina
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Postby MrBreeze » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:38 pm

Yes I think Katrina has it figured out. I posted pics in the UK forum and someone replied saying it was that 'gigantium' variety. I didn't know there were any different types....I really don't know much at all about it :oops: And yes, it has been under fairly high light since I've had it (~5 months) but I don't think its grown any new bulbs in that time...so it must have arrived that way. :)
-MB
MrBreeze
Flowering plant
Flowering plant

Postby katrina » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:05 pm

I will take a photo of my baby tomorrow and we can compare. I have also been told that these can go into a sudden decline for no apparent reason, so will be keeping a close eye on mine. From what I have been able to find out this type of Den are not known for longevity at the best of times. I don’t have mine mounted, it’s still in the pot it came in of fine bark. I don’t water too much at this time of year and it’s grown a new bulb so I shall be leaving it as it is for a while. Was yours already mounted Mr B?
katrina
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Postby MrBreeze » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:36 pm

Yes mine came mounted on a small stick. Actually I got two species dends from them and now both have bloomed! :shock: And then you tell me this one could be trouble :( So I don't know WHAT to think anymore! :D

I also got Neobathiea filicornu from them but it hasn't bloomed :(
nor has Paraphaleonopsis serpentilingua, but it is the tiniest little thing you've ever seen.

Anyway, the D. tetro. has very smallish roots so it does seem like it could be trouble growing it in my bedroom area. I tend to think of small rooted plants as needing/preferring pot culture when growing inside. But maybe this dend requires to be totally dried out between waterings? If so, it should do ok unless it just dies for no reason.

Its a cool plant for a non-Ang :wink:
-MB
MrBreeze
Flowering plant
Flowering plant

Postby katrina » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:40 pm

Well lets hope we do not end up having to compare who killed it first :evil:
katrina
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Postby katrina » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:26 pm

This is mine Mr B as I said its only a baby, no flowers yet but does have a new bulb. :D
I will be watching it like a hawk and will mount it if needed.I will keep you posted of its growth.
katrina
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Postby MrBreeze » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:53 pm

awwww....that's a cutie! I don't think its any smaller than mine. It looks to be about the same size if not BIGGER...so I bet yours is bloomable already. I didn't really try to give mine a dry rest ...but I didn't really try to keep it well watered either in the last few months...so maybe all yours needs is to dry out some. I'm not sure if its too late in the year to try that or not. Good luck!
-MB
MrBreeze
Flowering plant
Flowering plant

Postby katrina » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:05 pm

I have kept it rather dry over the winter and that new bulb is growing very fast, so as you say I might get it to bloom soon than I thought. I shall let you know when I see any signs Mr B and we can conpare flowers. :D
katrina
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Postby admin » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:20 pm

It seems to be still classed as a Dendrobium. I'm not sure why Dockrillia was cut out of Dendrobium, I can't seem to get an answer to that question. As far as I can see, the only thing they have in common is their (normally) spidery-ish shaped flowers, which, if that was the qualification, would then include Dendrobium tetragonum, but I'm certain the difference is more likely to be a wee bit more scientific than mine :lol:
Bill.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby katrina » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:33 pm

Bill I have a fact sheet about Dockrillia that I downloaded from the Australian Orchid Nursery. They say and I quote " Dockrillias are a elatively new genus having been removed from the Genus Dendrobium only very recently. They differ from Australian Dendrobiums in that the leaves and canes have been fused to form a solid tube or 'Rat Tail' " end quote
katrina
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Postby katrina » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:37 pm

PS cannot find this one on the list
katrina
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Dendrobium tetragonum

Postby tom » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:25 am

just obtained info on culture welcomed,you can see why it was obtained
its 9 cm top to bottom