Sales

News about orchids when it happens.

Sales

Postby admin » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:32 pm

I wasn't sure whether to put this notice in the news section or the Website section. I opted for news seeing as news it is.
Species Specific is now working in partnership with Phuphaman Orchids in Thailand. Lesley and 11-year-old Zara have been in training :lol: and are now confident enough to do some small scale selling.
The first batch of plants should arrive on or near the 27th July and will mainly be made up of some choice Dendrobium species, a couple of cold/cool growing Vanda species, both of which are my favourites, a few terrestrials and a couple of choice Coelogyne species.
Róisín wants to be involved as well, so she will have some minor roles to play, like peeling my grapes while I sit back :lol:
I've been talked into selling some hybrids, although I didn't really want to go down that route just yet, so we will be selling some Vanda hybrid seedlings. They will be available on the site, but I will mainly be pushing these on eBay as I'm still nervous about cranking up the heating system after that disastrous event in January 2011 , so we shall see how it goes.
Initially, plants will be sold as "New Imports" and that will be reflected in the price, for example, they will be supplied bare-root until they start becoming established, so, I suppose your best option would be to grab some bargains initially.
One of the important aspects of Phuphaman Orchids for me was their commitment to conservation. They often send plants for re-establishing into the rain forest, as can be seen in the photo below, one of two truck loads heading out to the forests.

Bill.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:16 pm

In addition to the above, Phuphaman Orchids Ltd carry a huge range of species, it seems endless. Perhaps counting my chicks before they hatch, I'm already thinking about the next batch.
I'm hoping that imports from them will become very regular, eventually monthly, so, if you are looking for a particular species, let me know, also, for the older members :wink: perhaps you would like to purchase a specimen/XL plant, then they can accommodate that as well with a few species. A quote can be given.

Bulbophyllum phalaenopsis

Unfortunately, Bulbophyllum phalaenopsis of this size would incur huge shipping costs, but flowering sized plants of around 40cm - 50cm leaf size can.

Aerides houlletiana

Phalaenopsis schilleriana

Dendrobium senile

A nice shot of very healthy Rhynchostylis coelestis

I've purchased a few specimens for my personal collection and I'm looking forward to them. Plants I feel I wouldn't have time left to grow to that size.
If you want to purchase specimen plants then I can negotiate a size to suit your own budget.
In the meantime, if you want to ask about what is arriving this month and reserve something, you can contact me at the usual email address, unfortunately prices I quote at the moment will be a guesstimate as I won't know the shipping costs until the day they are loaded onto the plane. Currently, CITES, Phytosanitary and import licences are supplied to me free of charge so at the moment I don't have the horrendous costs that UK retailers face, unfortunately that will end in the near future when the Department of Plant Health and Imports establish prices for paperwork and point of import plant checks.
Bill.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Freyja » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:27 pm

8) This is such good news Bill, I'm so pleased you feel ready to dip your toes back in the water :D

Before Tom says it, I know a couple of good quotes, but you might throw something at me :lol:
Freyja
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Postby Cam » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:24 pm

Bill, that's just wonderful news. I didn't ever get a chance to order from you in the past. But I hope to in the future :)
Cam
Seedling
Seedling

Postby admin » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks, folks. I won't manage to do much myself as standing is limited to around 10 minutes, however I'm hoping I can pick up something like a bar stool that I can sit on to work with the plants. Meanwhile Lesley fees confident enough to do many of the tasks while I stick to the PC and collecting orders.
Bill.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Silversurfer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:54 am

Wonderful news, Bill! I still have too many plants that are not doing well with me but so far haven't had the heart to throw out, but must. Once that is done I could begin to consider one or two newbies and your new venture may be just the kick start I need. :D
Silversurfer
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Postby Debbie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:40 pm

Excellent news Bill, I'm sorting and making space now. Must remember that much of the currently free space indoors isn't actually free, but will be occupied by the plants that are currently outside for the "summer". Must remember that the space isn't actually free... Must remember... What was I trying to remember? :roll: :lol:
Debbie
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Postby Freyja » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:14 pm

Debbie wrote:Must remember... What was I trying to remember? :roll: :lol:

You have a fixed overdraft and need to sell some to get your money back and can't go to Dinton because you have no space or finance?

No .... I must have dreamed that you had written that somewhere on the forum :lol:
Freyja
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Postby Debbie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:26 pm

No, no, not I can't go to Dinton, just I might give Dinton a miss... Anyway, I haven't spent all the overdraft yet! :lol: I need to invest in some shelving and daylight bulbs, but then if I put up too many shelves there'll be spare space that will need to be filled...

The ones I planned to put on eBay are the ones I went back in for the second time - before Lawrence threw me out and banned me until next time! :lol:

My mum bought a Den. nobile at our local spring show. Then I gave her a mini phal I bought at Homebase but decided I didn't like. The mini phal has now acquired another friend and a tray and sphagnum have been purchased to stand them on to increase humidity around them. She tells me there is space in the tray, which makes it look untidy! I encouraged her to buy the original dendrobium, now I'm wondering what I've done. :lol:
Debbie
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Postby admin » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:29 pm

Wonder no more, Deb, you did the right thing :lol:
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Debbie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:23 pm

I've just spoken to her, she now has 5 plants. She's coming here tomorrow and she will have 6 plants when she leaves as I have another mini phal for her. :D
Debbie
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Postby Freyja » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:44 pm

Debbie wrote:The ones I planned to put on eBay are the ones I went back in for the second time - before Lawrence threw me out and banned me until next time! :lol:

What you get ???? What you get????

Debbie wrote:My mum bought a Den. nobile at our local spring show. now I'm wondering what I've done. :lol:

You know full well what you have done my girl :lol: another one bites the dust ;)

Bill
I am interested and I am possitve you have my e-mail so don't leave me off the list please
Freyja
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Postby admin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:07 pm

No fears, Freyja, I wasn't able to get many emails yesterday, the weather was so horrendous the broadband service went down. It came back on during a lull in the downpour, just long enough to answer a couple of emails, it went down again a couple of hours later when torrential rain started again and that was it until now :evil: It's the very first time weather has affected the service.

Just checked, Freyja, no email from you. Did you send it to info@ or sales@ if not, resend to there info or sales@species-specific.com
Bill.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Debbie » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:30 pm

What you get ???? What you get????

Bulbophyllum vermiculare; Cleisostoma simondii; Thrixspermum acutilobum, maybe one or two others. I'm going through them to see which, realistically, I might be able to grow - or don't like now I've got them (fickle that I am, if it doesn't have pretty flowers...)

Mum now has 6 plants. Apparently she also got her first dose of mealy bug, which came courtesy of plant 4 or 5 from a local nursery (which is becoming quite well known for buggy plants.)
Last edited by Debbie on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Postby Freyja » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:08 pm

The Cleisostoma simondii is one I got as well and although it is hot growing, but I am trying it in my tank close to the light where it is warmer with a touch of hope.

I mostly went for a couple of large Catts one of which has such an obscure name I can't find it except as a parent plant for other Catts :roll:

Now I can't wait to see what Bill will be selling and if any of them will be coming to live with me ;)
Freyja
Specimen plant
Specimen plant

Next

Return to Orchid News